Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Wal-Mart uses cult techniques

Who knew the country's biggest retailer is a cult?

Here's yet another reason never to shop at Wal-Mart. I stumbled upon this website this morn:

http://www.demeritwalmart.com

That website reports that Wal-Mart actually gives DEMERITS to workers!

You hear a lot about demerits in association with school lore. But I think the only places I've been where demerits were seriously issued were the first high school I attended and the behavior modification program that resulted from the "crime" of being expelled from that school. Both of these places were cults.

In short, demerits are a cult-like behavior modification technique - not an effective method of ensuring productivity. Certainly, no demerits were awarded by the public library or the Department of the Interior when I worked for them.

What's sillier is the offenses that result in Wal-Mart issuing demerits. Key among them is missing work even for being sick. So employees are forced to show up for work sick and spread germs to other workers and customers.

Kind of like my first high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment