Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A Snuffleupagus moment with Dusty Lenscap

I just found this on YouTube when I wasn't even looking for it!

I stumbled upon a YouPube item featuring the audio of a 1988 newscast on WLW radio in Cincinnati. I listened to this expecting to hear whatever fake news against Michael Dukakis that was in circulation that day, but apparently WLW had higher standards than that in 1988. Instead I got Snuffleupagused.

For years, I've insisted there was a radio commercial for Kmart's photo processing center that featured Dusty Lenscap and a ridiculous jingle that sang, "As long as you're comin' to Kmart, don't forget the film!" The only station I remember hearing it on was the old WLAP-FM in Lexington. Kmart had such a miserable photo developing department that I always sang, "As long as you're comin' to Kmart, leave the film at home!" But everybody said I was just making the whole thing up.

Well, once again, YouTube saves the day!

This very commersh can be found at 1:15 in this WLW clip...



Believe me now? Or are we just going to keep living in denial?

Also notice that WLW played a little bit of music back in 1988. At the end of the clip, the station seamlessly segues into a Moody Blues record.

1 comment:

  1. I used to be employed by kmart and remember dusty lenscap very well....they had their own radiostation.

    ReplyDelete