Saturday, May 10, 2008

Credit card fascism

Did the idiots at my credit card company deactivate my card without even telling me?

Today I tried logging on to my credit card account, and it said my password didn't work. I had them e-mail me a new password (twice), and the new password didn't work either. I tried actually making a purchase (which is why I wanted to check my balance in the first place), and I got an e-mail from the firm I was ordering from saying my credit card company wouldn't approve the purchase (even though I know damn well I had enough money to cover it). (It's actually a debit card that I add money to periodically.)

I tried reregistering my e-mail address on the credit card website, and it said I couldn't do so because my card was not active - even though it's not supposed to expire until August, and they're supposed to automatically send a new card when it does.

I tried calling their customer service number, but it was disconnected. I e-mailed their support center, and still haven't received a reply.

Do all credit card companies lie like this? I never deactivated the card, so they're lying when they said it's inactive. Did they go bankrupt and steal the money I had on my card? If that's the case, I will get my money back from them, come hell or high water.

While right-wing shitsacks like "Sneering Jeb" Hensarling defend credit card companies' deceptive practices like confiscatory interest rates, the near-total lack of regulation of the credit and debit card industry continues to cost Americans an untold amount of their hard-earned money.

2 comments:

  1. Tim, getting steamed over what is probably just a minor inconvenience that can easily be cleared up isn't good for you. You're still eating white bread, aren't you? The high-fructose corn syrup from white bread and pepsi is sending your blood sugar and insulin levels out of wack, which in turn makes you short-tempered. It also causes your arthritis to flare and whole slew of other health problems. Keep eating tuna, but put it on whole-grain wheat bread. Sprouted or whole wheat soardough is best.

    Don't bother with emailing the debit card company. They won't answer any time soon and when they do it'll be a form letter. Keep calling until you get through. Most have customer service open 24/7. They may have froze your account for your protection due to some suspicious activity. Always call the number on the back of the card when your card is denied. They will want to verify some information and make sure a thief isn't using your card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read the post again Scheff..

    He can't "call till he gets through" because the number is disconnected...as in, it no longer exists..

    ReplyDelete