Monday, May 12, 2008

The death of maturity

You know society is on the brink when you see this.

In today's Cincinnati Enquirer, I saw a parenting article bearing the funniest headline I've seen in a while: "What to do when tantrum looms."

Looooom! Loooooooooom! Hear that, everyone? A tantrum is looming! Not Tantrum 95.7. Just a tantrum.

The header was so uproarious I had to read the piece. I thought it would be about the conniption fits thrown by kids who are 2 or 3 - but instead it's about tantrums thrown by 12-year-olds! Yes, 12! As an example, the article talks about how a 12-year-old might react when a parent refuses to buy them $90 shoes. I guess they're talking about future "values voters."

If people have such poor command of discipline, I don't have much hope for America's future. This is how societies end. The media is part of the problem for being so full of ads for expensive, name-brand kids' clothes. If kids today are so worried about what their classmates are wearing, a lot of it is the media's fault for hyping swanky brands. So I don't want to see one more pro-uniform editorial from any news outlet that accepts these ads.

No comments:

Post a Comment