Sunday, April 25, 2010

Eschewing the forces of hate and ignorance

I could be writing about abandoning my longtime support for certain politicians, but I may save that for another day. This piece is not about political figures but about people I have contact with on the Internet or in person.

I'm writing about it here because I don't feel as if I've truly eschewed the hate that has lately lurked in their hearts unless I've aired my disgust about it openly. It's a shame it has to be this way, but a man has to do what a man has to do.

This isn't just a matter of differing opinions. I also don't think this is a matter of the individuals in question having an organic disorder that affects their judgment. It's a matter of intentional ignorance and hate.

I've worked my whole adult life to fight this type of virulent ignorance, and the persons in question have crossed the line into danger. When they call for the death of respected political leaders just because of their own poor coping skills, it's over, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know who plants this garbage in their heads. Nutty preachers? Talk radio droids? Far-right websites? Either way, it's a sign of a life full of hate, and I want no part of it. What amazes me is that they try calling themselves Christians even as they spout this trash.

They choose to make their stances public on various online venues, so it's only fair that I publicly register my disgust at their disgraceful, embarrassing behavior.

As human beings, we have a duty to isolate and disdain this type of hate - and those who spread it. This is our calling in life.

So to these folks, I say this: Goodbye. Have a nice life. Hasta la vista. Sayonara. Aloha. See ya. Auf wiedersehen. Adios. Ten-four.

No comments:

Post a Comment