Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Yay! I got fired today!

Would you believe it? I got fired this morning from this very blog!

More specifically, the idiots at Google yanked my AdSense account, which supported the 'Pail.

In 2007, I started this blog to produce a steady stream of revenue to keep food on the table and a roof over my head - and to inform the masses with incisive commentary. The 'Pail wasn't just an adventure, you see. It was a job. And I raked in thousands.

Almost every single solitary day - including weekends and holidays - I cobbled together several entries to keep this blog in business. Sure, this blog is a useful service - but the bottom line is, it was my job.

But this morning, I received an e-mail from Google telling me my AdSense account was yanked because it "poses a risk of generating invalid activity." That's a lie - because it's impossible to click on your own ads. Is my account being pulled because other folks clicked on them? If so, then why even get an account? The whole purpose of using AdSense is for people to click on the ads!

Duh!

And if that's so bad, why doesn't Google design its AdSense system so people can't click too much? It already doesn't let you click on your own ads, so why doesn't it prevent other folks from generating excessive clicks?

Nope, the real reason Google is pulling my account is because of this blog's political views. That was obvious almost immediately. Funny, I don't know of a single right-wing blog that's had its AdSense ads disabled by Google.

It gets worse. In the e-mail, Google says it's not paying me the revenues it still owes me. It reads, "Your outstanding balance and Google's share of the revenue will both be fully refunded back to the affected advertisers."

No, Google. You pay me every penny of what you owe. Or I'll see you in court. The contract I signed in 2007 makes it very clear that even if your account is disabled, you still get the money you've already earned. For Google not to pay me is illegal anyway!

This is exactly like if your boss fires you and then decides not to pay you for work you've already performed.

I'm not appealing AdSense's decision, because I don't deal with people who are liars, thieves, and idiots. If they were merely idiots, I'd appeal. But you can't reason with people who are out to deliberately steal your money.

I'll still run this blog, though on a looser schedule. But it'll be a labor of love. (Love, my little woocap, love.) And I'm not worried too much about financial losses, because people out here have my back these days.

What's next? Is Google going to sue me for the past 3 years of revenues?

No comments:

Post a Comment