Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pigs were flown where gum got blown (Bubble Gum Weekend)

The late '70s ad featuring the Wright brothers isn't the only aviation reference in Care-Free gum commercials. But I forgot about the commersh in this entry for years!

Back in 1990, Care-Free ran an ad for its bubble gum that appeared to take place in an air traffic control station or a similar facility. One of the controllers bubbled repeatedly.

This was particularly amusing because my mom had a friend at the time who worked at an air traffic control tower. I got to visit the tower once, and at one point during this visit, I had to work very hard to contain my laughter, because I envisioned the controllers sitting there bubbling as in this ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jqmGJ0pFxc

Sorry that whoever uploaded that appears to be reinventing the kinescope, but I'm thankful this commersh has appeared at all!

The end of this ad is also pretty funny. The fine print reveals that they actually tested Care-Free against Trident and Extra to find out which brand of bubble gum had the longest-lasting flavor.

There must not be any hunger or disease anywhere in the whole world, if science has the resources to spend on testing to see which brand of bubble gum's flavor lasts the longest.

1 comment: