Thursday, May 6, 2010

I get mail

I get mail.

Indeed I do.

I get more e-mails than even the best mathematician at Bob Jones University could count (if only he could)!

Needless to say, some of these e-mails are going to be pretty fucking stupid, because this is the Internet, after all - where the Far Right seems to coagulate.

Posts from this blog are automatically crossposted to Facebook - to showcase this blog's greatness. Just now, I got a message on Facebook assailing me for my views. It reads in part:

"You are literally one of the least sensible human beings I've ever heard. I consider myself a liberal but its radicals like you that give us a bad name. How can you think that the other group is a set of 'paid operatives' who boost numbers by 'creative fake accounts'?? Are you out of your mind? No one cares that much about this stuff to spend their time creating 500,000 new emails, passwords and pictures to just get more fans... Pull your head out of your ass. ... It shouldnt be hard to admit that people who are on welfare (a volunteer population and government funded program) shouldnt NOT abuse drugs (outlawed by the government). ..."

What is this - 1997? I mean, that gimmick about pretending to be liberal while attacking somebody's liberal views is at least as old as the Internet boom itself.

This guy calls himself liberal even as he complains about everybody else not complying with the War on Drugs, which is a prohibition campaign that's long been known as a failure. I thought of a certain local politician when I saw that.

And I never said welfare recipients should abuse drugs. I was only criticizing the idea that we should force welfare recipients to prove their own innocence, when the burden to prove guilt is supposed to fall on the government.

Plus, I'm not the only person who's pointed out that the Facebook fan site in question is populated primarily by fake accounts. In fact, I wasn't even the first person who said it.

What's next? Is the next e-mail going to say, "I'm a liberal, but I voted for Bush - twice"? Honestly, that's about what this charade is like.

Maybe the real problem is that the center of debate has moved so far to the right that these faux "liberals" don't even notice how right-wing and ridiculous they're being.

No comments:

Post a Comment