Thursday, May 6, 2010

Media continues attacks on welfare recipients

After the Nazi-inspired war on the poor in the '90s, you'd think its supporters would've gotten their hatred out of their system. But who are we kidding?

With the ongoing bailouts of big banks, the right-wing media's classism appears even more hypocritical than ever.

In all honesty, most of my worry about the war on the poor isn't for my own sake. For one thing, I don't collect TANF or food stamps. I never got AFDC even before Congress ruined it. Besides, I know that folks these days have my back just in case.

I'm concerned about the war on the poor because I have ethics and character - which are missing among today's elite. In this country, elites are not supposed to hoard political power to lord it over the downtrodden. The concept of right and wrong is one of the characteristics that defines civilization.

America's poor don't have it too easy. America's poor - like the poor elsewhere - have it as rough as anyone can imagine.

Meanwhile, few in the media dare to challenge the bailouts for big banks. Apparently, these free gimmes are actually government grant programs for banks to start their own airlines, because they keep using the money to buy more corporate jets. I for one am tired of my taxes being wasted on handouts for big corporations.

3 comments:

  1. Remember, Tim, you don't pay any federal taxes at all so your taxes aren't going to banks. That should help you rest easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no federal sales tax. Your money is safe. None of it is going to the federal government or to bailout banks.

    ReplyDelete