Saturday, May 25, 2013

Baste of Cincinnati channels Ploptoberfest

Today, I went to Taste of Cincinnati - or as I call it, Baste of Cincinnati. But that was preceded by Occupy's March Against Monsanto, which met at Piatt Park and drew about 1,000 participants. (One of the rally's organizers counted about 300, but that was during the actual march, not the huge gathering beforehand.)

Like most other Occupy events, this one generated the usual support from passersby, but almost no media coverage - although at least CityBeat and the Cincinnati Enquirer did mention the event before the fact. For a supposedly "dead" movement, we're actually doing pretty well. This is the second Occupy event in Cincinnati this month that may have approached or exceeded 1,000 people. Amazing, considering The Media hates Occupy's guts.

Taste of Cincinnati was being held nearby. I remember going to it once with my family when I was maybe 9 or 10, but not since - until today. This annual event really isn't all that exciting, in my opinion. However, I did notice some hilarious restroom vandalism - not unlike that which occurs at Cincinnati's Oktoberfest. In the portable outhouse, I discovered somebody had put a Coke bottle and a Red Bull can in the toilet.

It's always a big day when you have both an Occupy march and a festival full of ploppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment