Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Massie one of 3 votes against Stolen Valor Act

Tom Massie - the first-term Republican congressman from our district - knows about me.

He tried adding me to his Facebook list during his 2012 campaign. A lot of local politicians do this - right, left, and center. They all know about me, and they know my views carry gobs of weight among the area's real people. Of course, that doesn't mean they do my bidding - especially the ones who try to appease all 5 Tea Party members in the district.

Recently, the House voted 390 to 3 to pass a new version of the Stolen Valor Act. This bill would make it illegal to lie about military honors with the "intent to obtain money, property or other tangible benefit." The 3 who voted against it are all Republicans, and all are Tea Party faves. One of them was (drum roll, please) Tom Massie. The others were Michigan's Justin Amash and Georgia's Paul Broun.

It's no surprise to me that the bill's only opponents would be Republicans, considering how they have so many politicians who have lied about their military honors. Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk, for instance, lied about receiving the Navy's Intelligence Officer of the Year award.

On Memorial Day, I saw the annual Bellevue/Dayton parade. Tom Massie had the unmitigated gall to have a float in this parade after he opposed the Stolen Valor Act. I couldn't see whether Massie himself was there, but there was a float representing him. When the floats for the Tea Party, the Republican Party, and right-wing politicians including Massie zipped by, I turned my back to them. The mere presence of these stale oligarchs in a Memorial Day event was a slap in the face to America's fighting men and women who died in wars.

The Republicans have done more to self-destruct in the 6 months since the 2012 election than they did in the 10 years before it.

(Source: http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/2013/05/stolen-valor-how-will-mark-kirk-vote.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment