Thursday, May 30, 2013

When Bert dropped an f-bomb ('Sesame Street' Wednesday)

I know it's Thursday, but I can't wait until next Wednesday to regale you with this!

I grew up with Sesame Street. It Sessified my life like it was going out of style. My mom thought I was crazy because I still watched it when I was 5. But I was 5, so of course I still watched it! Can't I have a little fun? Life isn't all just work, work, work. Sometimes you're entitled to be lazy - even if you're not in the Tea Party. I call it my 8/8/8 rule - 8 hours of work, 8 hours of play, 8 hours of sleep.

I always adored the Bert and Ernie sketches where Ernie creates a disturbance in the movie theater and Bert ends up in trouble. But now I've discovered that one such segment, which reportedly first aired in 1974, has what may be the only instance of the word fuck ever being used on Sesame Street...



Did you catch it? It's very clear if you know what to look for. Other peeps have noticed it too.

Fast-forward that clip to 2:04. Bert says to one of the angry moviegoers, "Get the fuck over there!" It's unmistakable.

Maybe instead of getting mad because I was too old for Sesame Street when I was 5, my mom should have gotten mad because I was too young for it. That Bert has a filthy mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment