Saturday, July 26, 2008

Gum is cool

You know what? This blog needs a gimmick. I asked people for some gimmick ideas, and I got a reply: "You should focus on bubble gum and its influence today."

So maybe I will. Maybe each weekend, I should post a link to a hilarious bubble gum commercial from yesteryear.

I never chew the damn stuff myself nowadays, and this is a political blog anyhow, so why would it even deal with gum? Because gum is funny. It's funny because it is. No particular reason. It just damn is!

So why not a weekly bubble gum commersh? I won't embed a commercial, because that comes too close to giving the gum maker free ad time (even if the ad is 30 years old) - but I will provide the link. Also, I can't vouch for these links being around too much longer, because YouPube seems to pull any video that causes feewinghurt on any grounds.

Here's our first exhibit in our museum of gum mania:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMTGMHc_w1s

That's an ad for Trident's soft bubble gum, circa 1983.

The commersh wasn't even meant to be humorous, but there's so many things to make fun of in it that the mind tobbles to and fro. I remember this ad, and that the absurd scenes with the pack of gum magically floating against a blue background caused our shitty cable TV system to emit a fart-like hum.

This is from Trident's "Taste the one that'll win you over" campaign, which I ridiculed endlessly back then. In reference to the 'Sesame Street' Muppet, I always sang, "Taste the one that'll smell like Grover." Which doesn't make any sense, of course. Then again, does it really have to?

And of course, the young woman in this commersh bubbled. What bubble gum ad would be complete without it?

If you're not rolling on the floor in a fit of uncontrollable guffawing right now at this hopelessly dated gum-related exhibit, then your laugh bone must be busted!

4 comments:

  1. I think a better gimmick for you would be old Sesame Street segments.

    One...Two...Three days in jail! MWA! HA! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burn Gum It Melts !!!!!!!!!!!

    94 was a crazy year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you really don't ever sleep.

    Yes, 94 and four / eighths is more accurate than my very general post of 94.

    I'm goin to bed, where I will probably dream of a gum that will win me over, now in new strawberry flavor.

    I like the gum of yesteryear idea, it is nice to shift gears and post something not so serious once in a while like gum.

    ReplyDelete