Sunday, December 21, 2008

Another good health poster

Since this is the time of year when things get the most boogery to spoil your holidays, I've found another fine old poster that took seriously the threat of contagious respiratory illnesses.

Common colds should be taken seriously. Many Americans who are my age remember when they were. That was before the greed-driven health care system conditioned everyone into believing otherwise.

And when this poster was made even before my time, public health was taken seriously back then too:


(http://i44.tinypic.com/2ir832s.jpg)

This poster makes it very clear: If you get a cold, "CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN." I still trust the hydrogen peroxide treatment, but I know many folks refuse to try it, because it's never been advocated in any sugar-free gum commercials. (The state of New York is about to give aspartame a taxpayer subsidy, so public health obviously isn't a high priority anymore like it was in the days of that poster.)

I also wouldn't worry about a solitary boogie dripping out. But if the more vexing symptoms set in, I certainly would see a doctor. That poster was right. I think that if I'd seen a doctor, I wouldn't have developed bronchitis several years back.

It's pretty bad that society now places a higher priority on cosmetic procedures for the opulent than on serious respiratory diseases that can strike anyone. But these days, money talks.

No comments:

Post a Comment