Saturday, December 6, 2008

This bubble gum's loaded! (Bubble Gum Weekend)

It's always satisfying to unearth something totally different and unexpected for this feature!

There's certain gum ads that YouPube has at least 5 copies of which weren't even that creative - yet there have been other commercials that were much more imaginative that had their only copy yanked because it hurt someone's feewings. There's still some that I remember that I've yet to find at all.

A few days ago I just happened to find a Freshen-Up commersh from 1978 on YouTube that I don't ever remember seeing in my youth!

I live, breathe, and eat the '70s. I'm a 1978 kind of guy. If something appeared on TV in 1978, by golly, I should remember it! Those were great times! I was discoin' down in kindergarten and havin' a blast!

But, dammit, I don't remember this ad for Freshen-Up's bubble gum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5xKssr7x18

This is also yet another sports-themed gum ad. Bubble gum and baseball seem to go hand in hand. Anyone who watches even a Major League Baseball game will notice that the players often bubble.

This commersh suggests that youth leagues are no different. Numerous individuals bubble in this ad. Even the bespectacled ump blows a big, pink bubble!

See, that's what people did in the '70s. They bubbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment