Saturday, January 12, 2008

How to get your ass kicked in 1977

It's time for something a little more lighthearted here at The Online Lunchpail!

A few months ago someone gave me a link to one of the most uproarious entries I've seen on another blog in recent memory:

http://15minutelunch.blogspot.com/2007/10/strap-in-shut-up-and-hold-on-were-going.html

Now that you're doubled over in laughter from reading that entry, that catalog just goes to show the lack of fashion sense of the J.C. Penney Company. I was around in 1977. I lived 1977, I breathed 1977, and I ate 1977. And I guarantee you most of clothing items advertised in the photos on that blog were never to be seen in my home or out in the actual, you know, world. You might see something remotely resembling the plaid suit on a businessman or a school principal, but that's about it. Folks in the real 1977 usually just wore boring t-shirts or jerseys with a giant number on them.

Trust me on that. If you're not an old dude like me, I don't want you to get the wrong impression of my favorite decade.

I'm no fashion expert, but catalogs have been out of step with style in every era I can remember. This has undoubtedly caused much humiliation for the children of parents who think catalogs accurately reflect what young people deem to be fashionable. But does anyone else actually buy what they see in clothing sections of catalogs? How do these catalogs stay in business? Are they still in business?

So the moral of the story is: Unless you're a professional clown, don't buy clothes from catalogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment