Friday, January 18, 2008

Year-round school: an idea whose time has gone

Since I started this blog in August, there's one issue I feel very strongly about that I don't think I've mentioned yet: the unacceptable trend in America towards year-round school.

This right-wing idea would have been unthinkable 15 years ago, but there's several school districts in my area that have it now (including the one where I grew up). The idea itself is bad enough - for reasons I'm sure I've mentioned in The Last Word - but what's really bad is how shrill and nasty most of its supporters are. They simply will not take no for an answer. I was run off one message board last year for refusing to support the idea, and I caught hell from the Far Right on at least one BBS for the same, because of their unchecked arrogance.

Year-round school is nothing but a corporate-backed gimmick that has only yielded failure where it's been tried.

This year I hope I can bring you more insight about this scourge. It's an important issue because it's one that rests at the very foundation of a person's life. If Bill Clinton made a national issue out of school uniforms (which are another failed right-wing gimmick), we should make a national issue out of year-round school and insist our lawmakers put a halt to this unseemly power grab.

No comments:

Post a Comment