Saturday, September 27, 2008

Protest brings record turnout!

It's a record!


Yesterday afternoon, I got a phone call: Drop everything and protest! Right now! So I did.

Protesting the abusive teenage confinement facility on the east side of Cincinnati is not something I do for pay, but I take it seriously, and there was no time to goof off. I take it as seriously as I do my paid writing gigs. Photographing roads is a hobby in which I can afford more humor and fun. But protesting is not that type of hobby. Protests are fun, but amusements take a back seat to serious rallying.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not the one who organizes these protests. Others long ago accepted this daunting task.

Last night's event drew 12 - count 'em, 12 - protesters. This is a record for the 13 such protests I've been in! And it was gutsy! In fact, a recent detainee and a parent both drove in from out of town to participate.

I held the "STOP THE ABUSE" sign. One of the highlights was when I was walking from one side of the entrance to the facility to the other side and had the sign facing towards the driveway. Right at that precise moment, a parent or staff member was pulling out of the facility and got a full-face view of the sign! Right when they least expected it, they saw the sign pop into view!

So yes, it was a good protest - probably the best ever!

(More info: http://www.isaccorp.org/kidshelpingkids.asp)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, 12 whole protesters. If the people knew, you'd have 1200 protesters. You'd be on the news. That place would be shut down. I know you'd have 30 seconds to tweet it. I doubt you took the Peace Bike there. So you had time between the call and when your ride arrived.

    As a symbol of strenght and freedom, I think the protests would be more successful if the Peace Bike attended them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a grand protest. I am glad to see that there are a few people left in this country to stand up for what they believe in.

    This isn't just about kids being brainwashed and abused, this is about allowing cults to exist and the detriment cults have on our society. If we allow them to destroy some of us, they will surely try to get us all. All for the power that money brings.

    The parents are intentionally misled and lied to in this program but once the parents catch on, there will be some very angry protestors who want justice for what has been done to the minds of their children. If the parents only knew what went on in the group sessions, there would be no program left. It is psychological torture hidden behind confidentiality rules and anonymity explanations. The parents never see or know what really goes on.

    ReplyDelete