Friday, September 19, 2008

The car sign wars are back!

Yesterday someone sent me this photo of something that was seen in Highland Heights, Kentucky - my original hometown!


(http://i36.tinypic.com/10ici9v.jpg)

Lest you can't see that, that's an oversized SUV bearing the words, "I'm a REPUBLICAN because EVERYONE can't be on WELFARE." The SUV has a vanity Kentucky license plate saying I WORK.

I was unsure what to make of this at first. I thought it had to be a joke. But I don't see anyone laughing. So I think the owner of that SUV is serious. The driver really is some spoiled Contract With America leftover who hates the poor and isn't ashamed to show it.

I typed in the phrase on the back of the SUV into Google, and discovered that the hulking vehicle has been sighted throughout Cincinnati.

What sort of self-righteous asswipe puts something like that on the back of their car or SUV anyway? You know the owner of that SUV is someone who has never been poor and has a funhouse mirror idea of what work means. They think work is defined by how much money you make - not by the amount of, you know, work.

According to them, a ditchdigger who makes minimum wage is less of a worker - and less of a person - than a CEO who was born into wealth and makes millions a year. They think someone who works harder for less money doesn't have a "real job" (and is therefore lazier) compared to someone who works less for more money.

Everything to them is about money money money money money. If you don't have money, you're considered nothing.

I've come up with a more detailed profile of who might be driving that SUV. It's hard to see, but the SUV seems to have a Campbell County plate. (The shape of the county name is closest to Campbell.) The data with the photo indicates it was taken on July 25 (a Friday) at 3:11 PM. It's probably someone with a posh downtown office job who doesn't have to work full days, driving home to the exurbs in the southern part of the county.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if it's some bully who attacked me at school 20 years ago. I know they were somebody's bully, because normal people don't post crap like that on their cars.

I'm responding in kind. I made a small sign for the back of the Peace Bike that says, "I'm a GREEN because NOT EVERYONE was BORN RICH." In response to the plate, I made another sign, saying, "I WORK TOO."

Both have been attached to the trusty velocipede with strong adhesive tape.

This is reminiscent of the "IMPEACH BUSH" sign I had in the early 2000s, so it'll be interesting to see if the right-wing thought police reacts as violently to the new signs as they did back then.

Tomorrow and Sunday will see Cincinnati's Oktoberfest. Once again, I'm taking the Peace Bike to the 'Nati and parking it right outside the entrance to the festival. Since this is a presidential election year, I expect the right-wingers to go beefuck crazy at Oktoberfest like they did in '04 when they vandalized the bike and started 2 fights with me.

I'll then learn if mailing tape was strong enough to fasten the signs to the bike.

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't look like an SUV, looks more like a full-size truck with a cap on it. Two words- Red neck. They are turning left heading towards Highland Heights in the picture, I think.

    I know quite a few people who are not Republican and work quite a bit (and they work hard). These people are not in support of providing welfare to those who do not need it. Since I am not registered as a Republican anymore, I suppose I am now a swing-voter. I work and have worked a lot over the years. I get angry when I see a broken welfare system and the lazy, good-for-nothings that take advantage of the loopholes and receive welfare monies. Being a Republican (or a member of any party) has nothing to do with repairing the welfare system.

    ReplyDelete