Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Judgment Hour

I don't claim to be an adherent of any religion these days, and I haven't been to a weekly church service since the Reagan years. But I'm not any worse of a Christian than the so-called Christians who continue to judge John Edwards.

For the record, I never said he was right to engage in an extramarital affair. But I don't judge him after the fact. About other aspects of the story, the media is lying outright.

As for the right-wing whack-a-doos who judge John Edwards, well, um - didn't they read the Bible that they thump at everyone else?

Luke 6:37 says, "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

Isn't that enough for you, judgies? Maybe if that verse is too long, try Matthew 7:1: "Do not judge, or you too will be judged."

It's in the Bible, geniuses. Dominionists like using the Bible to claim they have a "right" to beat their kids (and other people's kids) - but they ignore everything the Good Book actually says. I guess it's because they're illiterate and they don't really know what it says.

Maybe we need to buy the judgies some Hooked on Phonics tapes.

I surely wish there were words in the English language sufficient to express my scorn for those who would judge someone based on a private matter that he had long ago put behind him. Again, I never said Edwards was right to have an affair. But the judgies judged, and did not forgive.

Imagine what it's like for the Edwards family to see the media lining up against them over a years-old incident just for political gain.

If Obama wins, I'm inclined to help launch a nationwide effort to draft John Edwards as Attorney General. Because of his courage in admitting the affair, I admire Edwards more now than I did before this story, and I certainly think he can find a place in a national administration.

Edwards may have been wrong about some things before - and I'm a Green, while he's a Democrat. But, by golly, I will defend him from judgmental hypocrites and liars.

No comments:

Post a Comment