Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day open thread!

Cue the "Read On!" fife music: I did my patriotic duty today! Turnout seemed vastly suppressed - but I overheard other voters, and trust me, they ain't McCain supporters. (I ain't either.) And no right-wing issue groups were campaigning at the polling place, unlike 2004.

I blog. It's my job. Rush Limbaugh's job is a radio commentator. Mona Charen's job is a newspaper and TV commentator. My job is an Internet commentator.

Charen and Limbaugh are right-wing; I'm not. But the work I do is just as legit as anyone else's. I'm not getting rich, but it pays the bills for someone like me, who didn't have as many opportunities in life as Rush or Mona did.

It's not just a job, but a career, and I take pride in it.

Last year, I blogged live during elections including the Kentucky gubernatorial contest. I devoured a piping hot pile of West Virginia pepperoni rolls as I had the Secretary of State's website set to refresh constantly. But this year, I'm going to a family event, like I've done on Election Day every 2 years of my adult life. (The only exception was 2006, because we all had other things we had to do.)

At these events, we watch returns on TV and the Internet. There's nothing quite like seeing the numbers roll in! It's like watching a sporting event, only rarer.

Tonight I'm going to be at this get-together. I know you're disappointed that I won't be here to update you, but I worked until almost 10 PM last night, and I can't be home 100% of the time. But I'll be taking notes, and I guarantee you I'll be blogging again the moment I get home! That's a 100% ironclad promise!

Let this entry be an open thread for your own election observations!

And may the worst candidate lose!

11 comments:

  1. No wonder nobody's left any comments on this blog in a day: Google's new comment applet is broken already.

    Oh well. Back to the old applet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the same opportunities as everyone else, Tim. That attitude that you can't go anywhere because you weren't born rich is what's holding you back, not some right-wing conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then I'll go work at the family radio station like Rush Limbaugh did.

    Wait, I forgot. My family doesn't own a radio station.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just might be a lost cause, Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has it never occurred to you that if you worked hard for it, someday you could buy your own radio station if that's what you wanted?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish tim (and the peace bike) were blogging tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim's probably into the second jar of boysenberry syrup by now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to President-Elect Obama!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't blame me, I voted for the Peace Bike!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodbye Republican fascists.

    Voted at 6:30 am.

    Some of us are taking our country back. It's about damn time.

    Do you think Bush will refuse to leave in January since he is our beloved dictator?

    Bush and his regime is probably at fault for Obama's victory. At least the biggest factor.

    McCain is hating Bush so bad right now, that's twice he's kept him from the white house now.

    ReplyDelete