Monday, November 3, 2008

Nader or Obama?

So who's it gonna be? Nader or Obama?

Now that it's been established that the major parties have a conservative recent history, a Nader vote looks tempting - which is why I practically endorsed him months ago. Why reward the Democrats for gaffes like confirming Michael Mukasey and the Clintons' school uniform support?

But it's not too late to take the rare step of voting for someone other than who I effectively endorsed. After Obama has spent the past 6 weeks on real populist themes (making him the best Democratic nominee in 20 years), why not vote for him? If I vote for Nader, and McCain wins by 8 electoral votes after winning Kentucky by one vote, I'd feel about an inch high. Why split the vote?

If Nader is draining votes from Obama, you can just as easily argue that Obama is draining votes from Nader - but the media won't allow that, because Nader is the one who got excluded from the debates.

Because I'm not Ann Coulter, I have only one vote. What to do with it is nearly a wash. Obama has evoked a lot of confidence lately, and his Cincinnati rally was quite impressive. But I voted for Bill Clinton in 1992, and his administration sure turned out to be a bust, didn't it?

See how carefully I'm mulling this over, folks?

Voting is by secret ballot, and I'm under no obligation to disclose who I end up voting for. The most I can do tomorrow is vote my conscience and hope for the best. It looks like this election is already decided, but don't let that keep you from voting.

4 comments:

  1. You can safely keep your promise of voting for Nader. If Obama had any chance of winning Kentucky he would've campaigned there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obama has a better chance of winning Kentucky than McCain has of winning Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, if you vote for Obama, the People need you to promise you'll get a job that pays enough so you can pay taxes like the rest of us. Hard working Americans will be stuck with the bill for "change you can believe in," while you sit there blogging all day complaining about conservatives and not paying a dime in income taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If he votes for Obama, or for Nader, the People need the Republicans to promise to go away.

    ReplyDelete