Saturday, March 14, 2009

Facebook: where real time isn't

When everyone finally got used to Facebook changing its layout just a few months ago, it's been changed yet again - and not for the better.

Facebook's latest brag is that all the updates for you and your friends are in "real time."

Well, they're not. I had to make some important updates to my previous entry here, and Facebook never picked them up - forcing me to stop importing entries and restart.

It would have been easier for me to fix this problem satisfactorily, except that I try to run a very orderly blog. Things are expected to work in a consistent fashion. There's a reason for order, you know.

Also, when Facebook switched to the new layout, it lost several entries that had been imported. And later, some of the entries appeared out of order.

The trouble with the previous entry could have been avoided if Facebook allowed users to edit their imported entries. But it doesn't.

I guess Facebook is also never going to fix its failure to import YouTube videos properly. When I e-mailed them about this almost 2 weeks ago, they said they were aware of the problem. But others have been complaining about it for months, and it hasn't been fixed.

This despite the fact that Facebook tried importing my YouTube favorites list even though I had that marked as private.

Facebook was more interested in rolling out a faulty update to its layout than in fixing its inability to properly import from YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment