Saturday, March 14, 2009

I really, really despise bigotry

Seriously, I do.

Yes, I know what you're going to say: economic liberal = social conservative. Well, that's a myth, and this myth doesn't work for this blog (or most other things).

I believe that you can't judge someone based on their race, their sexual orientation, or certain other characteristics. Most of you agree with me. If I supported bigotry, I wouldn't be writing a blog like this.

But today, I almost had a close encounter of the Nazi kind.

I went to the laundromat, and while my clothes were in the dryer, 2 guys (who were maybe in their late teens or so) entered the place. They appeared to just be doing laundry, so I had no idea yet what was in store.

But then one of them strolled over to the bulletin board and promptly tacked a National Alliance flier or newsletter to it.

National Alliance is the name of what is quite frankly a neo-Nazi and white supremacist organization based in Hillsboro, West Virginia. In addition to disgracing a good set of initials, the National Alliance has praised Hitler and has been listed by opponents as a neo-Nazi group. I knew the newsletter was from the same National Alliance, because it had a Hillsboro address.

I shut my eyes and summoned the personal strength not to confront these right-wing losers who were patronizing the laundromat. Idiots like this aren't even worth it anymore.

What's amazing is that they posted the flier in full view of several other customers. And the laundromat happens to have a security camera. I'm sure these guys knew I'd disapprove, because almost everyone in Campbell County already knows I hate bigotry.

This dumb duo was still in the laundromat when I had to leave. But I'm sure someone else found their flier and tossed it squarely in the dumpster where it belongs. That's because the Geoff Davis voters who posted it were dumb enough to post it in Bellevue, instead of in certain places in the county where more people would actually believe the right-wing shit they spew.

(You could say that I underreacted, but I was surrounded by racist losers like this in high school, so I had steeled myself for their nonsense.)

Raw racists can publish all the hate-filled propaganda they choose (even though I disagree with their views). But if there's any sort of official investigation into neo-Nazi activities in this part of town, I'll be more than happy to provide authorities with a description of the 2 individuals at the laundromat.

(For this entry, I should be using the symbol from the key to describe racism, but that would've just distracted from this story.)

No comments:

Post a Comment