Wednesday, March 25, 2009

When a Statue of Liberty puzzle got ru

Since I've given up on the pop-up media for the rest of the day, how about another story about the Statue of Liberty?

I know you're in the mood for it, since I talked about the old 'Sesame Street' closing credits earlier today. So how about it?

When I was growing up, we had a round Statue of Liberty jigsaw puzzle. It was cool. I think it had 256 pieces, and each and every one of them was in pristine condition.

Until one day.

I don't remember who the culprit was in this act of mischief. It had to have been either one of the neighbor kids or an offspring of some family friends. I know it wasn't one of my relatives, because nobody with such a similar DNA would do something as incredibly stupid as what transpired that day.

Anyway, the young one responsible for this incident somehow made his way into the den, where the puzzle had been put together on the floor. He then sat in the middle of the circular puzzle and cradled on his hands and knees.

Mind you, this kid was maybe 8 or so, so he was too old to be doing that shit.

Of course, my folks blamed me, because I failed to stop him. I didn't get in too much trouble though.

The Statue of Liberty puzzle, however, wasn't so lucky. Because of this incident, several of the cardboard pieces were frayed and appeared to have some of their colors torn off. One could still assemble this puzz, but damage to the pieces was clearly evident.

Not long after, it became someone else's problem. We sold the puzzle at a yard sale (probably right about the same time we sold the Fritos t-shirt that had been thrown in the toilet).

The young visitor's ruinment of our Statue of Liberty puzzle is symbolic of our liberty later being chipped away little by little.

No comments:

Post a Comment