Saturday, January 9, 2010

Wicked Witch of 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' can't hide much longer!

I've been searching for solid evidence of the fabled Wicked Witch of 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' for a very, very long time.

And - thanks to the miracle of YouPube - I've now come as close as ever to finding her.

Not close enough to be completely satisfied. But damn close!

I remember the closing theme of 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' many decades ago ending in a flute-like twirl, followed by an amusing witch's laugh. I once thought I was just imagining it, but then a family member claimed to remember it too.

Recently I stumbled upon a message forum in which folks described ancient 'Mister Rogers' closings - one of which they called "Mister Rogers' Nightmarehood."

Could it be???

I goed on YouTube and was floored to find much of the 'Mister Rogers' closing I'd long pined for. A chill went up my spine. The only difference from what I remembered is that it lacked the trademark witch laugh.

You can find it here in an assortment of items found on an old videotape used by a PBS affiliate. The closing in question is at 1:32. It features a drawing of the trolley on a track in a clearing:



For Bastebook peeps, it's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucxbh3lLpJw

That closing reportedly hasn't been seen on TV since 1976, so I wasn't any older than 3 when I saw it.

But where was the Wicked Witch?

It's possible the laugh appeared only on certain airings, such as a Halloween episode. But if it was that uncommon, why would at least 2 people in my household have remembered it years later?

I'm gonna find you, Wicked Witch of 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood'. Just you watch. Then - as has happened countless times before thanks to YouPube - everyone will know you weren't just a figment of my imagination.

2 comments:

  1. I THINK the laugh was from the series of episodes Rogers made with Margaret Hamilton. I could be wrong tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct my dear. The show DID, infact, have Ms. Hamilton on the show. She showed how the makeup artists transformed her into the Wicked Witch, to help children not be so afraid. She also appeared on Sesame Street, but the episode was not aired but only a few times. Ms. Hamilton perfected the role of "wicked", "ugly", and "evil" while still remaining a jem of a lady inside. :)

    ReplyDelete