Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I dream of homesteading

I once pledged to use this blog to help interpret dreams that I've had.

My recurring dream of escaping my former high school is pretty easy to interpret, as it shows just how close to the surface this notion lurked in real life.

But I've also had another recurring dream: In this dream, I repeatedly return to an apartment I had years ago and use it as sort of a second home. According to this dream, this occurs without the knowledge of the owner.

To "squat" in that apartment in real life would be unrealistic, since that building is still maintained and is still inhabited by others. But I think the dream shows just how easy it would be to do in other buildings - particularly, empty ones that nobody seems to maintain.

If such an act becomes necessary because of the government's failure to rein in the country's housing crisis, it's not really "squatting." It would actually be homesteading, because it would be necessary.

The United States probably ranks just behind North Korea as having the least tolerance of such homesteading. Still, I bet there's buildings in my area where it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment