Thursday, May 7, 2009

Boy Scouts ban "overweight" volunteers

What self-styled genius came up with this policy?

The Boy Scouts of America plans to institute a new weight requirement barring "overweight" volunteers. (I've generally eschewed ABC as a source for this blog, because of its Republican bias that approaches the Fox News level - but I'm making an exception for this story.) Volunteers would even be restricted from teaching archery because of their weight.

These volunteers have dedicated their lives to the Boy Scouts to enrich the lives of millions of America's young people. And this is what they get in return?

What's so irritating about the new weight requirement is that it's not even being implemented for the safety of the volunteers or the scouts. The reason for the new policy is to (you guessed it!) set an example. Even some volunteers who have passed a doctor's checkup would now be banned.

Naturally, Freeper types are flooding ABC's comment section to defend this new rule.

Something tells me the country is in the throes of a witch hunt against the "overweight" much like the ongoing official massacres against dissidents and the poor.

(Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=7508870&page=1)

1 comment:

  1. Howdy,

    I am an adult volunteer with a Scout Troop in OKC and I can tell you I have nothing to do the policy. What I can tell you from what I know the policy applies to high adventure outings where medical help may not be available. It boils down to a saftey issue for the youth and the leaders. High adventure weight(health) requirements apply to the youth as well.

    I not sure what changes may be in place for the future. The weight piece is already a rule and has been a rule for sometime.

    ReplyDelete