Monday, May 4, 2009

One of my few major regrets

"I asked this post to be removed before, yet it was not. Also, this post is stalker bait, and is outdated."

Got that, Google?

I'm pretty sure I asked the post in question to be removed from Google's archive several years ago. Assuming it ever was removed, it's obviously another that reappeared. The quote above is my message to Google asking them to remove it - again. (I've mentioned before the problem of Google's failure to remove posts that the author of the posts wants deleted.)

I've had a very good public track record over the past 15 years. In general, I'd do the same things all over again - only I'd fight back much harder.

But one of my greatest regrets is publicly appearing to support the wrong joker in an election. I don't get hung up much on political parties, but it's still a concern.

Candidates for public office often raise important issues, but if they're not willing to deliver, I feel like a fool for even defending them. I'm wiser now, but - as a voter - I feel like I was used by political candidates for their gain.

The Tim of the 2000s is not the Tim of the 1990s, so I'm more wary now. Throughout the '90s, I never truly fought back against anyone - and I was seldom in a position to, especially later when I was tired and in a daze.

Let me give you an idea of how much I was browbeaten: In the first incarnation of the message board on what was then my main website, I had to start moderating all the posts because of the assholes talking trash about me. When one of them kept it up, I approved his post, because I was afraid he'd keep trying if I didn't. That shows how out of control things were.

If a public official or anyone else knows they can bully someone, they will. So in the past few years, I started fighting back. Hard. And it's worked.

I regret trusting some of our officials, I regret possibly taking the wrong side in a row between interests I didn't care for to begin with, and - perhaps more than anything else - I absolutely cannot believe I spent an entire decade not fighting back against anything.

But like I said, I'd do almost everything else exactly the same. From Tantrum 95.7 to The Last Word, I have few other regrets. If that offends people, they can kiss my ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment