Thursday, September 3, 2009

So where was my opt-out?

I'm enraged about parents having no way to opt their kids out of viewing a presidential speech about education.

Absolutely furious!

I am of course referring to the October 1, 1991, speech by the elder Bush that was beamed to almost all of America's classrooms.

This was nothing but a campaign speech designed to show us all the great things Bush supposedly did for us.

I was a high school senior at the time, and all I heard from the teachers at my school in the days leading up to the speech was how we're going to watch this speech, by golly, and we better like it.

I don't remember a thing about watching the speech, but I know it was shown to my class. I don't have my 1991 diary handy, so I don't know if I missed school that day. Most likely, I saw the speech but just didn't pay any attention to it, because every word that came out of Bush's mouth was so pointless.

Hell, the school even made a point of fixing the long-broken TV in our classroom just so we'd have a chance to see Bush's campaign speech!

Where was my opt-out??? Is this anything like how we couldn't opt out of those pro-Gulf War rallies on Fountain Square the school took us to?

I'M GONNA SUE over being forced to watch Bush's speech! Waaah waaah waaah!

1 comment:

  1. I SO remember this speech!!! Dick Gephardt came right out and called it a campaign speech!

    ReplyDelete