Friday, September 11, 2009

Gettin' even in Evendale!

I spent most of the day today on a bike tour on the north side of Cincinnati - which took me all the way to Evendale!

I'm also proud that I twice violated an Allowed Cloud - albeit a minor one. But don't worry: The biggest parties that seem to be slighted are PUCO and CSX. So shed no tears.

Also, these episodes took place in Reading and Woodlawn - not Evendale itself. Both are rail-related.

In Reading, I crossed a railroad crossing that was closed even to pedestrians. The crossing on the next street was closed too: Signs said that crossing was closed by PUCO's order even for foot traffic - so I assume the one I crossed was also closed by PUCO.

Puke-O is Ohio's utility regulation body. PUCO closed the crossing upon demand of the I&O railway - against the city of Reading's wishes.

In short, PUCO lets electric monopolies price-gouge as much as they want, but won't let individuals use rail crossings on city streets that were deemed safe for decades. All because the railway doesn't want people using them. See what I mean about "regulation for thee, not for me"?

What's the point in having individual cities when PUCO just marches in and tells the cities they can't keep their streets open, just to appease a railway?

In Woodlawn, a train was parked on the CSX track at an important rail crossing. After waiting for 5 minutes, I defied CSX by walking the Peace Bike along their tracks, around the rear of the train (which was only 2 cars away), and to the other side of the crossing.

Poor CSX.

If CSX doesn't want me walking along its tracks, then it shouldn't have blocked the street with a parked train. Traffic was backing up for blocks, with no remedy in sight.

Five years ago, I would have obeyed the PUCO blockade in Reading and waited for the train to move in Woodlawn. But the new Tim is not the old Tim. When I need to do something, I do it. I don't wait for a license from rail lines or agencies that do their bidding.

I've said it before: If I don't stand up against these Allowed Clouds, nobody will, and it'll just get worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment