Monday, February 8, 2010

Music, memories, and getting kicked out of school!

Since this is a political blog, it's always interesting how hearing old songs you haven't heard in years brings back memories of political or personal events.

I was listening to some music earlier, and the memories of my expulsion from high school came rushing back! It's hard to believe it'll be 20 years in April, but hearing those old songs again reminded me of when the burden of that particular school finally lifted.

There were 4 songs in particular that were on the radio constantly around the time of my expulsion, and hearing them today brang back those fond reminiscences:

• "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor
• "Whip Appeal" by Babyface
• "Summer Rain" by Belinda Carlisle
• "I Live By The Groove" by Paul Carrack

The Paul Carrack one was particularly amusing because of how I always spoofed the line, "It can't be learned at school." Whenever that song came on the radio, I always sang, "It can't be burned at school." This was around the same time somebody set the toilet paper on fire at school, which wasn't long after we set a cardboard pizza box ablaze on the steps outside the school building.

All this at a Catholic school!

As for political memories, I don't have many from that immediate era. This was at the time when the media was planning on coronating Mad Dog Bush for a second term, so I wasn't exactly encouraged.

1 comment:

  1. You set a pizza box on fire at school and wonder why you were kicked out?

    ReplyDelete