Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bandit goes Green

After the Democrats helped confirm Mucusy (the right-wing goon who gave Bush the go-ahead to indefinitely detain terrorism suspects without a trial), I decided that was the last straw. (A majority of Democrats voted against confirming him, but the Democratic leadership refused to trot out the same 60-vote filibuster rule that always used to apply against the Democrats - which shows you what kind of "leaders" they are.)

So I've decided to start the process of officially changing my party registration to Green. I wanted to change it to independent after the uniform harangue, but I never formally did so - but now the grueling 12-year-long act of changing parties is about to become complete. I don't have a clue as to how this is accomplished in Kentucky without moving out of state, letting your registration lapse, and reregistering upon moving back into the state, but it has to be done by New Year's - in case there's a Green primary next spring. So help me!

If that seems too audacious, consider what Greens accomplish when they do get elected - namely, they don't cave to Republicans. And the Greens have a platform plank that specifically supports repealing the 1996 Telecommunications Act - something the Democrats still haven't done despite their mandate. If the Green Party is good enough to have populist legend Jim Hightower as a keynote speaker at its convention, then it's good enough for me. I just couldn't stand being walked all over anymore like the DLC's been doing all these years.

As far as I'm concerned, any election from now on that has only a Democratic and a Republican candidate is the same as having only one candidate. It will be called out as such.

I didn't really leave the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party left me.

2 comments:

  1. You should run for local office as Green Party candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Updating Your Voter Registration
    Q: May I change my political party affiliation?

    A: You may change your political party affiliation at any time on or before December 31 to remain eligible to vote in the following primary election. You simply need to fill out a new voter registration card and return it to your county clerk by the December 31 deadline.

    http://elect.ky.gov/registrationinfo/infoguide.htm

    ReplyDelete