Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Blue Dogs sounding like yellow bellies

I know the Democrats are supposed to have a big tent, but some stances are so far outside the mainstream that I can't believe the party lets anyone with these stances seek office under the Democratic banner - while disavowing candidates who support liberty. The Democratic leadership disavowed a congressional candidate in Missouri because he took the sensible step of supporting legalizing marijuana, but they didn't shun a kook like Merrill Keiser? I was a registered Democrat for 16 years and a member of the Northern Kentucky Young Democrats for 3 of those years, but I took more flak from my copartisans than the right wing of the party did.

The Blue Dog Coalition is sort of a soulmate of the DLC. It has some overlap with the DLC and consists of Democratic members of Congress who often have conservative positions much like the Republicans. Lately they've gone beyond conservative and have gone extreme.

Now 21 members of the Blue Dog Coalition in the House are endorsing the Senate version of the surveillance bill. The Senate's version grants retroactive immunity to telcom giants for their lawbreaking in Bush's phone spying scandal, while the House's version does not. The 21 lawmakers actually wrote a letter to Nancy Pelosi supporting immunity.

What a cowardly, wimpy, toilet-minded thing to do.

If the Senate version wins in the House, it'll be the Blue Dogs' fault entirely. I'm relieved I'm not in the party of these Bush enablers anymore.

The Blue Dogs and the DLC are such rubber-stamp appeasers that they ought to just call themselves the Vichy Democrats.

(Source: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/2/13/134654/941)

3 comments:

  1. Another great "give 'em hell" speech from the Bandit.

    There is not a dime's worth of difference between the Dems and the Pubs today. Especially on "the War on Drugs".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, fellow Tim Brown fans.

    Did you know Bandit placed in the top three in the 1984 Highland Heights Elementary spelling bee?

    Visit allowedcloud.com, the world's first Tim Brown fan site, to learn more fascinating facts and keep up with the latest Tim Brown news as he fights for truth, justice and free health care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Bandit! I've been ego-googling the name of my blog, VichyDems, partly to see how widely the term "Vichy" has spread since I started in early '06. (I didn't invent it, but there were something like 20 Google hits on it when I named my blog.)

    Then I got the bright idea of blogwhoring to the folks who are, like me, concerned about the tendency of so many Dems (even post-Congressional-takeover) to act like vertebrates. I'm going to bookmark everyone who seems concerned about this issue, and hopefully create a community that can take action sometimes (for instance, when there's a Vichy Dem being opposed by a progressive Dem in a Congressional primary).

    Right now I'm heavily focused on the Presidential campaign, and backing Obama (which may alienate some people) -- but hopefully that will be over soon and I can get back to more grassroots organization.

    If you're interested in being part of this community, would you please shoot me an email at vichy at safe-mail.net?

    Thanks -- nice to meet you -- and nice to find your bloggie!

    T.D. Scott

    ReplyDelete