Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I watched the debate tonight!

I remember back in 1980 when I was in grade school how there was a school bus monitor who always complained about Jimmy Carter. One day she launched a diatribe in which she angrily declared, "I'm gonna watch the debate tonight!"

I was only 7, but I knew it must have been pretty important, because 'debate' was an important-sounding word.

I just watched tonight's debate on TV that took place in Cleveland. The 95-minute forum that featured Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama was fairly uneventful as far as debates go.

Unfortunately it was on NBC, whose credibility was dashed about a week ago with the spliced tape hoax. About the only thing of note is Brian Williams's first question, which was nearly as idiotic as the question CNN's Bernard Shaw asked Michael Dukakis at the start of that one debate. It had to do with the photo of Obama wearing Somali garb in Kenya.

Williams was basing the question on something on Drudge Report, for crying out loud! Drudge Report! So trying to lend credibility to Drudge Report is what political discourse has stooped to?

So now I'm tired. A full month without sunlight will do that. So if the entries here lately aren't as animated as they should be, that's why.

1 comment:

  1. The Last Word has been around longer than Drudge Report has, but you never see the pundits basing their questions off of it.

    I would love to see Brian Williams start off his questions with "The Last Word reported..." or "The Online Lunchpail reported..." One more reason we need the fairness doctrine.

    ReplyDelete