Monday, August 24, 2009

Who's the real Tenth Amendment champion?

I just had an exciting thought!

The Tenth Amendment is designed to safeguard the states' independence from federal abuses. But lately (as they have before), conservatives have been intentionally misinterpreting this amendment to try to deny federally protected rights and benefits to their states' citizenry.

For instance, right-wing lawmakers in Arizona think the Tenth Amendment justifies a referendumb to bar national health care from operating in their state.

If the Republicans are so worried about federal power, they sure didn't show it while I ran the famed New America project to shield myself from the many abuses by the likes of Newt Gingrich and George W. Bush. During those years, it was always their way or the highway.

The Republicans have as much chance of taking control of Congress in 2010 as the Whigs do. That said, it's dawned on me that I'd have more shield from them than I did in 1994.

For the first time in my life, my digs are within sight of a county that the GOP lost in a presidential election - a county that is within a state they lost. And Cincinnati surely has its share of urban prairie - land that's there for the taking. (Look up urban prairie on Wikipedia. LeftMaps just gave urban prairie its own land use shade.)

The Republicans do not get to decide how a Democratic city in a Democratic county in a Democratic state is run. It's not the GOP's county any longer, so it's not the GOP's rules.

It's my rules now.

If you think I've violated lots of Allowed Clouds lately, it's a far cry from what you'd get to read about if there's another 1994. Not like I have to worry about this, because a party whose public face is Glenn Beck and Orly Taitz can count on being laughed out of the voting booth.

Who's the real Tenth Amendment champion? Someone like me who fights for his own constitutional and natural rights, or a sore loser like Rick Perry?

No comments:

Post a Comment