Monday, February 4, 2008

Clinton might garnish wages for insurers

This is what happens when we let insurers be a part of health care reform.

Hillary Clinton said that in order for folks to achieve health coverage, she might support garnishing the wages of workers to buy health insurance. She said something similar in the mid-'90s when she suggested that she expected people to be processed by the insurance industry for health care.

Clinton's proposal for mandatory corporate health care isn't real health care reform at all. Some would argue that you already have your wages effectively garnished for Social Security - but at least that doesn't go to a for-profit corporation, let alone an insurance corporation. Insurers are among the last places I'd want my money to go.

Dennis Kucinich got it right when he said he's not in the insurance business with his own health care plan.

Why involve Corporate America at all? The pendulum has swung so far to corporate-centered policymaking that even in the Democratic fold (thanks to the DLC) there's an assumption that corporations have a "right" to be involved in every policy initiative.

Because decisions by health insurers have killed enough Americans already, I don't see how the insurance business has the "right" to be involved in fixing health care, let alone in garnishing your hard-earned money.

I almost think Clinton just handed the election to Obama by announcing this idea, but you never know.

(Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080203/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_rdp;_ylt=Ao276QmzRPdXPv0tFmqr_GOs0NUE)

2 comments:

  1. More and more people are starting to come into the realization after going through all these elections that there's definately something going on with this universal health care. Consider this when you vote tomorrow: If you don't get sick the whole year, do you get a refund? What about if all you have is something basic like a bacteria infection but your next door neighbor gets cancer? Do you have to pay the same as that guy? With you on the one hand, the doctor says "take two pills and call me in the morning." You can get your prescription filled at the grocery store pharmacy when you pick up a cartoon of milk and some bread. The other guy, well, sorry about his luck but he's going need an operation and then they do the radiation. Doctor appointment after doctor appointment. It never seems to end and it gets expensive. So what's the answer? I think we should all chip in and help that guy with cancer. It's one of the leading causes of death in America and you never know, you could be next. That doesn't mean you will get cancer, but you should talk to your doctor about what you can do to reduce the risk. If you want my advice, you should stop smoking. If you can't do that then switch to Marboro Lights. Once you get thinking about health care that should give you a pretty good idea who you should vote for because they've all got good ideas. I'm not going to make it easy for you and tell you who to vote for. You need to make that decision on your own and it's a difficult one to make.

    That's all I can say about that because I don't want to steal The Online Lunchpail's thunder. But it would be rude of me not to at least say hello. I've been reading this blog for a long time now. I was even able to keep up with it while I was in jail for a few months after an incident I had with a low level right-wing politician. They let me use a computer for a half an hour a day in the jail library after I was moved to a minimal security detention facility. To make a long story short, I followed the advice of this blog and some others like it and I really took a stand. Went up and cocked this fellow right in the jaw! Bam! He went down like a bag of rocks! Didn't even see it coming. Then his wife starting yelling at me "I'm going to call immigration!" You see, I had a pretty good tan at the time and she mistook me for an illegal visitor to our country. But I'm not of the Mexican persuasion at all. I'll tell you though, a few months locked up and not much sun sure eliminates any confusion on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S., I've started my own blog inspired by The Online Lunchpail. It's called The Mote Report. Feel free to stop on by at your earliest convenience at motereport.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete